I spent the weekend unpacking, organizing and settling back in at home after our Summer in San Diego. Normally, our Sunday night dinner tradition usually consists of picking up Italian or Chinese takeout. But for our first Sunday back, I wanted to make a home cooked, Italian dish – Penne Vodka. The epitome of comfort food and the ideal warm and hearty “welcome back” meal.
*Serves 4-6 (we’ll be re-heating this throughout the week since we have a bunch left over)
2 tbsp olive oil
1 small onion, finely chopped
2 cloves of garlic, minced
A pinch of hot pepper flakes
1 tsp dried oregano
½ cup of plain vodka
1 28 oz can of Italian crushed tomatoes
½ cup of heavy cream
¼ cup fresh grated parmiggiano reggiano
Salt and pepper to taste
1 pound of uncooked Penne pasta
HOW TO MAKE:
1. In a non stick pan over medium heat, sauté the onion in the olive oil for 5 to 6 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 1 more minute. Then add hot pepper flakes, dried oregano and stir to combine. Add the vodka and cook for several minutes (until reduced by half)
2. Add the whole can of crushed tomatoes and reduce the heat to low. Add a lid (but don’t cover all the way, leave a small space uncovered) for 45 minutes. Give a quick stir about every 10 or so minutes.
3. After the 45 minutes, season the sauce with salt and pepper to taste and add the heavy cream. Turn the heat up to medium and let it cook uncovered for 8 to 9 minutes.
4. Add in a few fresh basil leaves and grated parm cheese. Stir together. Turn heat off.
5. Cook your pasta in salted boiling water and drain. Add to sauce. Combine all together and serve!
Share this post:September 8 2013
Tags: best lifestyle experts, best penne vodka, best penne vodka recipe, best penne vodka sauce, dinner party ideas, easy pasta recipe, easy pasta recipes, easy penne alla vodka, easy penne vodka, easy penne vodka recipe, how to make easy penne alla vodka, how to make easy penne vodka, how to make penne alla vodka, how to make tomato sauce with vodka, jamie krell, Jamie Krell blog, Jamie Krell fashion expert, Jamie Krell lifestyle expert, Jamie Krell style expert, pasta dinner, pasta dinner ideas, pasta dinner party, pasta ideas, penne all vodka recipes, penne alla vodka, penne vodka, recipe for penna vodka, recipe for penne alla vodka, using vodka in tomato sauce