Tuscan Kale Salad
This recipe is from Harvard alum, Dr. Andrew Weil. He’s an internationally-recognized author and expert respected for his views on leading a healthy lifestyle and his philosophy on healthy aging. This is also a signature dish served up at True Food Kitchen, but It’s easy to make at home…I also like to add tofu, salmon or grilled chicken (but it’s delish on it’s own, too.) Bonus? Kale is packed with vitamins, is anti-inflammatory, high in calcium, fiber and iron with no fat – just lots of fresh flavor.
You can watch the Dr himself make the basic dressing (quickly) on the video here
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 cup lemon juice
2 cloves garlic, mashed
1/2 tsp course salt and little pepper
A few pinches of red pepper flakes
2 bunches of Tuscan kale, ribs removed and leaves sliced into shreds (2 bunches should fill about 5 cups)
1/2 cup finely grated Parmesan or Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese (plus shavings for garnish if you like)
6 slices of (wheat or white) bread to make breadcrumbs, toasted
1. In a large bowl, whisk together oil, lemon juice, garlic, salt and pepper and red pepper flakes. Add kale and toss to coat.
2. Let sit at room temperature for 30 minutes *IMPORTANT!
3. Add grated cheese and breadcrumbs and toss
HOW TO MAKE BREADCRUMBS:
1. I took 6 slices of fresh bread and toasted on a baking sheet in the oven on 300 degrees for about 8-10 minutes, until dry and slightly hard/toasted.
2. Then I cut off crusts and tore slices into about 1 inch pieces and put in food processor. A mix of course and fine crumbs will form.
3. I added the crumbs to a little olive oil on stove-top pan until crumbs browned (medium-high heat.)
You can make in advance if you’re entertaining (it actually get’s even better after a night in the fridge.) And you can also cover and refrigerate leftovers up to two days.
Can serve up to 8. ENJOY!
Share this post:June 3 2013
Tags: best kale salad, Dr. Andrew Weil, dr. weil, dr. weil kale salad, Dr. Weil recipes, Dr. Weil's kale salad, easy dinner recipes, easy salad recipes, how to make easy kale salad, how to make kale salad, how to make true food kale salad, how to make tuscan kale salad, jamie krell, Jamie Krell blog, Jamie Krell Recipes, Kale Salad, summer salad ideas, summer salad recipes, true food kale salad, True Food Kitchen, True Food menu, true food restaurant, tuscan kale salad